Monday, February 4, 2008

Brief Update

Sorry no pictures today - we'll have some tomorrow.

It is a very difficult time for all of us. Matthew's behavior is atrocious and because of the language barrier (no one at the orphanage can say more than "bye bye" in English) we can't figure out why. Interestingly, when someone from the orphanage approaches, or he hears the word "candy", he changes to perfect angel.

The thoughts are he is testing us, or he may be trying to beat us to the punch on rejection, or he is jealous of Thomas. In any event the next few days are going to be huge as the 10 day period runs at the end of Thurs.

We really could use your prayers as he is very difficult these days.

Right now it appears our return date may be during the weekend of the 16th/17th. Obviously that is subject to change.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris and Ellen - My thoughts and prayers are with you, especially over the next few days. I hope that everything works out for all of you. Hang in there :)

Anonymous said...

I believe your thoughts, in combination, are spot on. (See, Chris, I told you: parenting is just a lot of trusting your gut!) Don't give up on Matthew. There is a lot of anxiety building.. the fear of venturing out into the great big unknown and leaving behind all that is familiar to him.
But, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel (and, no it is not a train barrelling toward you). Reach forward to the things that are ahead; press toward the goal! I know with time and patience, things will work out for your family.

Anonymous said...

get ready ..this is parenting....kids are an every day challange....kids are never angels they know what button to push and when (grocerie store or restaurants are there favorits for pulling a fit or kicking and screaming)...get used to it.. my tip walk away and count to 10 or sometimes 100...good luck

All about the hair... said...

Hi Ellen and Chris - its Lisa from L&P! I look at your family picture all the time and am thinking of you all. Although I'm someone that loses my patience daily with my 5 & 6 year olds, all I can say is love, love, love. I'm sure you are right about testing you or seeing if you will leave him. Stay strong - you can do this! Miss you Ellen! Lis